Thursday, January 15, 2015

How to Juggle Your Words

A writer, in her or his quest to create a unique voice and to write sentences in unique ways, must learn to juggle words, to disregard the most obvious choices to articulate an idea.
Many grammatical rules, though outdated and often unenforced, coax a writer’s hand to rephrase her or his ideas.
I, in my quest to formulate a unique voice for my fiction, frequently take these grammatical rules to an unhealthy extreme, not because I bow to those “rules,” but because, to satisfy them, I must repeatedly juggle the words within my sentences.
This results in fresh sentences with an accent all their own.
Note that most people don’t speak like this, and you don’t want all your characters to sound the same. If you follow this path, ease up on it when you deal in dialogue.
Also note that overly grammatically correct sentences will start to sound a bit stale. Pick and choose (with purpose) which of these rules for which you shall develop OCD. Remain consistent with them.
I, a writer of fantasy novels such as the Diaries of Darkwana series, enjoy more leeway with overly grammatical dialogue, as it lends a majestic inflection to my otherworldly characters (or so I tell myself).
The list that follows outlines some of my personal rules. You shouldn’t feel required to follow them. Chances seem fair that the literary tune that results might not fit your own story or style.
However, this list might provide you with some idea what rules you’ll want to create and faithfully follow.

1)   Never end your sentences with prepositions.
Let me speak as clearly as possible. Plenty of perfect sentences end with a preposition. The grammar police will not break down your door if you disobey this “rule.”
However, this rule often forces me to rework a sentence and find a more creative way to express its idea. I like that.

2)   Avoid passive verbs such as: was, were, had, have, is, and be. I even dislike do and does.
I go out of my way on this one for two reasons.
First, I again enjoy the aforementioned opportunity to reshuffle my words, seek out new ways to express my sentences’ notions.
Second, passive verbs sound passive. They also come across as cheap and lazy.
I ought to admit that some of my alternatives to these passive verbs rub certain readers the wrong way. I heard more than once that a few readers found my replacements a distraction, and that they wished I settled on a passive verb, instead.
I often write, “possessed” instead of “had.”
“Existed” instead of “was.”
“Become” instead of “be.”
You’ll need to (instead of “have to”) make your own choices. Keep in mind that you cannot please everybody.

3)   Start with the subject.
I experimented, not that long ago, with the other extreme. I didn’t want to repeatedly use the same sentence structure (Subject-verb-object). I feared that this would begin to sound monotone. I would often write:
“He reached into his vest pocket and grabbed the dead snake’s body. From his pocket, he threw the half-rotten beast at the clown-demon. The demon’s face, the beast slapped.”
Okay. I never before wrote those sentences, but I wanted to create a loud example of why this previous, bright idea of mine failed so miserably.
 "He reached into his vest pocket and grabbed the dead snake’s body, threw the half-rotten beast at the clown-demon. The beast slapped the clown’s face.”
It sounds more active for a reason. My prior efforts to create a less monotone sound backfired when I decided to mix the sentence structure.
Lesson learned. Start with the subject, the part of your sentence that performs the action.

I shall, next week, discuss those grammatical rules I do not follow . . . and why I doubt you should, either.


(Thanks for reading. You might notice below that I changed the schedule for my blogs. I will, because of the number of projects on my plate, only produce a short story for this blog on Mondays. Fiction Formula will switch from Fridays to Thursdays. I apologize for any inconvenience, though I . . . doubt this will rock anyone's existence. Thanks again!)

I publish my blogs as follows:
Sundays: Movie reviews at moviesmartinwolt.blogspot.com
Mondays: Short stories at martinwolt.blogspot.com
Tuesdays: A look at the politics of the entertainment world at EntertainmentMicroscope.blogspot.com.
Wednesdays: An inside look at my novels (such as Daughters of Darkwana, which you can now find on Kindle) at Darkwana.blogspot.com
Thursdays: Tips to improve your fiction at FictionFormula.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment